RSS and Newsreaders

My final week for the 23 Things Activity brought me to the world of RSS. My main purpose in choosing this was because I didn't really have a big idea of what RSS could do and how it could be of assistance in any environment. I used 'BlogLines' and now have 10 subscriptions.

I had a bit of difficulty registering some of my Feeds through BlogLines and through my account. Some told me the RSS was not available and then other times my account was unaccessible, then I'd go into it again and the RSS feeds I wanted would be there. It was quite frustrating! Eventually, I signed up to:

BlogLines News
The Learning 2.0 Library Blog
Librarian.net
National Geographic
Rotten Tomatoes (A Movie review site)
The Shifted Librarian
Sports News (Via Yahoo! 7)
Itunes Top 25 Songs
And 2 RSS Feeds for fanfiction.net (A site where I indulge in my love of Tv and writing together)

I can see how RSS could be extremely helpful in a library setting. People could receive the latest news just by going to their Feeds, without having to go to your website. New Books that come into the library could be posted there as well as any events that were happening in the library.

While I appreciate how this could be used in a library setting, I don't think I'll continue to use it for myself. I prefer to go to websites themselves and search around for the information I want. I use many bookmarks on my Mozilla screen which is all the help I need to find what I want to find.

0 comments:

Post a Comment